Thursday, October 27, 2011

Table Troubles

The holidays have saved me. I had two "table" tops that were completely stumping me in the way of design and arrangement. I think the main problem was that I was trying to work with what I have. Which, though the most affordable option, isn't always the most workable option. Nothing was working. I was wracking my brains searching the internet for inspiration when October rolled around and I realized I had three months of holiday decor ahead of me...three months to figure out what I wanted to do. Thank you holidays!

My first trouble area is my yet to be hacked Malm. It has a much larger surface area than what was previously there...


...my silver console (that I painted last year in October). Here is what the area looked like then:


And after we inherited some furniture from my in laws:


I don't have any pictures of what was on top of the Malm before October - but it consisted of a vase with branches, a vintage globe and something else. I can't remember!

Currently I'm thinking I might paint the mirror a shiny silver and the malm a teal color - we'll see!

My second area is my entry. That is where my silver console was moved to and currently looks like this:



Before October it looked like this:


Blah! I just don't love the mirror and table finishes together. My ultimate goal is to have a chest of drawers here with a herringbone paint treatment, so I think I'll start looking for the chest come January. My second problem is the whole arrangement. I just don't like anything about it. The red lamp will relocate to my yet to be born baby boy's room (we just found out what we are having last week!), so that gives me a good excuse to scrap the whole table top and start over...other than the fact that it just wasn't working. I'm also planning on painting the inside of the door a midnight blue.

Here is the before, before when we first moved in:


So I have a lot of work ahead of me. Fun work, of course, but work all the same. At least I have a couple of months to figure it out! Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment